Replying to my own post:

It appears that I've resolved this problem by removing the reciprocal
relationship (backref) from this particular relation. Though it is a
bit of a head-scratcher as to why the removal of the backref resolves
the circular dependency problem given that this table has many other
relationships defined to other lookup tables that are modeled
identically and do not exhibit any circular dependency problems.