Hi Michael,

we're just discussing some issues with SQLAlchemy over at the TurboGears
mailing list which appeared because the new SQLAlchemy usage as promoted
in the 0.5 docs differs from the classical usage. We are unsure how to
solve these issues, so I thought it will be best to get some input and
suggestions from you.

In the TurboGears project, our standard application templates for
SQLAlchemy create models in the classical (non-declarative) way.

To make this a bit more convenient, TurboGears creates a scoped session
and maps the model classes with this session's mapper (i.e. with a
contextual, session-aware mapper that is made available to the
TurboGears application). This worked very well for us, but now with SA
0.5, the declarative usage becomes more popular, which uses a normal
(not contextual) mapper. The existence of contextual mappers is not even
mentioned any more in the SA 0.5 docs. Is this an omission or is my
impression right that you want to phase out this kind of usage?

Another point is that our default scoped_session(create_session) in
TurboGears creates sessions with autoflush=False and autocommit=True,
while defaults sessionmaker() sessions in SQLAlchemy now have the
opposite, autoflush=True and autocommit=False. So maybe our usage is
outdated in that regard, too?

What kind of usage do you suggest to provide as default in our
TurboGears app templates that will be as convenient for the average user
and as future-safe as possible?

-- Christoph