Depending on security preferences, it may be desirable to keep
database passwords out of code files.

One of the recommendations for MySQL is to keep the password in
a .my.cnf file accessible only to the user.
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/password-security.html

To use the .my.cnf password in sqlalchemy, do something like the
following:

from sqlalchemy.engine.url import URL
myDB = URL(drivername='mysql', host='localhost',
database='my_database_name',
  query={ 'read_default_file' : '/path/to/.my.cnf' } )
engine = create_engine(name_or_url=myDB)
# use the engine as usual, no password needed in your code file :)

This has been very useful to me, hopefully others find it helpful as
well.