On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 01:53:13 -0700 (PDT)
nano <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> hello,
> I'm new to sqlalchemy and database
> I just installed postgres "http://doc.fedora-fr.org/wiki/
> Installation_et_configuration_de_PostgreSQL",
> and I have a problem connecting to my database
> with a script sqlalchemy
> the error is "
> File"/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/SQLAlchemy-0.4.0-
> py2.4.egg/sqlalchemy/engine/strategies.py", line 77, in connect raise
> exceptions.DBAPIError.instance(None, None, e)
> sqlalchemy.exceptions.OperationalError: (OperationalError) FATAL:
> Ident authentication failed for user "postgres" None None". Thanks.

This looks like either you forgot to put the username in your connection
string, or you have a PostgreSQL configuration problem.

It says you're trying to login with username "postgres". However, on
most distributions "postgres" is the name of the DBMS's super-user
account, as well as the name of the POSIX account that PostgreSQL runs
as. Thus, for security reasons, by default you won't be able to log in
as "postgres" on the DBMS except from a local process running as the
POSIX account "postgres". ("Ident authentication" just means "your POSIX
account name must be the same as the DBMS account name")

Check that you have put a DBMS username and password in the connection
string of your engine, that the user has permission to access the
database you're trying to connect to, and that PG is configured to allow
that user to connect via TCP/IP using password authentication, not just
ident authentication.

Following the steps in the "security" and "creating a user" sections in
the wiki page you linked to should set up the user and permissions
properly. Whatever username/password you create with that procedure
should be the one you use for SQLAlchemy.

-Kyle