What techniques can be used to improve concurrency when using SQLite and
SQLAlchemy?

My system has two threads.  One collects data and does periodic insertion and
algorithms on the data.  A second thread implements a web service which might
read the data or make changes to algorithm parameters in the database.  This
mostly works, but occasionally I run into a database lock.  The two options I
see are:

1) make this single threaded -- but not sure how to merge the web server thread
and the data collection

2) Introduce some sort of mutex protection between the threads.

Are there any other better possibilities?