On Oct 23, 2008, at 1:32 PM, Hinrich Winther wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have tried to implement all day now. The problem is, that the
> values of the parent chartItem are populated by sqlalchemy after a
> flush. But I would have to extract the value by the parent before a
> flush, otherwise the db complains becuause sqllite would also try to
> flush the child at the same time. I only see 2 ways out of this
> chicken / egg dilemma:

you implement a routine *inside* the flush() using a MapperExtension
configured on the chartItem mapper, using the before_insert()
routine.   This would receive chartItem objects, and if patID is not
populated, you would traverse up the parents of that chartItem until
you located a non-None patID; then populate.   The unit of work will
ensure that the patient object is INSERTed before the child chartItem
objects.