Michael Bayer wrote:
> You're on the right track.  The reflection methods are always called
> with a Connection that is not shared among any other thread
> (connections aren't considered to be threadsafe in any case) so
> threadsafety is not a concern.
>
> I think you should look at the mysql dialect sooner rather than later,
> as its going to present a challenge to the overall notion here.  It
> has a much more elaborate design already and you're going to want to
> cache the results of SHOW CREATE TABLE somewhere, and that would be
> better to be *not* cached on the Connection itself, since that is
> something which can change over the lifespan of a single connection.
> I think for the PG _get_table_oid method that needs similar treatment,
> i.e. that its called only once per reflection operation.

> We have a nice decorator that can be used in some cases called
> @connection_memoize(), but for per-table information I think caching
> info on the Connection is too long-lived.  I had the notion that the
> Inspector() object itself might be passed to the more granular
> reflection methods, where each method could store whatever state it
> needed into a dictionary like inspector.info_cache - or, perhaps we
> just pass a dictionary to each method that isn't necessarily tied to
> anything.    This because I think each dialect has a very different
> way of piecing together the various elements of Table and Column
> objects, we'd like to issue as little SQL as possible, and we are
> looking to build a fine-grained interface.   The methods can therefore
> do whatever queries they need and store any kind of structure per
> table in the cache, and then retrieve the information when the new
> Dialect methods are called.   This means the call for foreign_keys,
> primary_keys, and columns when using the mysql dialect would issue one
> SHOW CREATE TABLE, cache all the data, and return what's requested for
> each call.
>
> With the caching approach, multiple queries with the same
> reflection.Inspector object can be made to work nearly as efficiently
> as the coarse-grained reflecttable() methods do now.

I've taken the info_cache approach and that seems to be working out
well.  It's just a dict passed into the granular methods.

Since my last post, I've mostly been looking at the MySQL code.  I never
liked MySQL much and now I've got more reason to dislike it.  I'm pretty
much convinced that all of the schema info should be parsed at once (as
it is now) because the entire statement has to be parsed regardless.  So
I've taken a lazy approach to creating the granular methods.  They just
create  a Table object (or use a cached one from info_cache), pass it
into reflecttable and extract the required information.  I think this
approach maybe could be improved on with some work to
MySQLSchemaReflector and a structure more simple than Table, but I want
be more certain before taking that plunge.  I attached mysql.py so you
can have a look.  Not really much to see though.

I also created an Inspector class in engines/reflection.  It's very thin
and clean so I'll just include it below:

class Inspector(object):

     def __init__(self, connection):
         self.connection = connection
         self.info_cache = {}

     @property
     def dialect(self):
         return self.connection.dialect

     def get_columns(self, table_name, schema=None):
         f = self.dialect.get_columns
         return f(self.connection, table_name, schema, self.info_cache)

     def get_views(self, table_name, schema=None):
         f = self.dialect.get_views
         return f(self.connection, table_name, schema, self.info_cache)

     def get_indexes(self, table_name, schema=None):
         f = self.dialect.get_indexes
         return f(self.connection, table_name, schema, self.info_cache)

     def get_primary_keys(self, table_name, schema=None):
         f = self.dialect.get_primary_keys
         return f(self.connection, table_name, schema, self.info_cache)

     def get_foreign_keys(self, table_name, schema=None):
         f = self.dialect.get_foreign_keys
         return f(self.connection, table_name, schema, self.info_cache)

# mssql.py

"""MSSQL backend, thru either pymssq, adodbapi or pyodbc interfaces.

* ``IDENTITY`` columns are supported by using SA ``schema.Sequence()``
  objects. In other words::

    Table('test', mss_engine,
           Column('id',   Integer, Sequence('blah',100,10), primary_key=True),
           Column('name', String(20))
         ).create()

  would yield::

   CREATE TABLE test (
     id INTEGER NOT NULL IDENTITY(100,10) PRIMARY KEY,
     name VARCHAR(20)
     )

  Note that the start & increment values for sequences are optional
  and will default to 1,1.

* Support for ``SET IDENTITY_INSERT ON`` mode (automagic on / off for
  ``INSERT`` s)

* Support for auto-fetching of ``@@IDENTITY/@@SCOPE_IDENTITY()`` on ``INSERT``

* ``select._limit`` implemented as ``SELECT TOP n``

* Experimental implemention of LIMIT / OFFSET with row_number()

Known issues / TODO:

* No support for more than one ``IDENTITY`` column per table

* pymssql has problems with binary and unicode data that this module
  does **not** work around

"""
import datetime, operator, re, sys

from sqlalchemy import sql, schema, exc, util
from sqlalchemy.sql import compiler, expression, operators as sqlops, functions as sql_functions
from sqlalchemy.sql import compiler, expression, operators as sql_operators, functions as sql_functions
from sqlalchemy.engine import default, base
from sqlalchemy import types as sqltypes
from decimal import Decimal as _python_Decimal

MSSQL_RESERVED_WORDS = set(['function'])

class MSNumeric(sqltypes.Numeric):
    def result_processor(self, dialect):
        if self.asdecimal:
            def process(value):
                if value is not None:
                    return _python_Decimal(str(value))
                else:
                    return value
            return process
        else:
            def process(value):
                return float(value)
            return process

    def bind_processor(self, dialect):
        def process(value):
            if value is None:
                # Not sure that this exception is needed
                return value
            else:
                if not isinstance(value, float) and value._exp < -6:
                    value = ((value < 0 and '-' or '')
                        + '0.'
                        + '0' * -(value._exp+1)
                        + value._int)
                    return value
                else:
                    return str(value)
        return process

    def get_col_spec(self):
        if self.precision is None:
            return "NUMERIC"
        else:
            return "NUMERIC(%(precision)s, %(scale)s)" % {'precision': self.precision, 'scale' : self.scale}

class MSFloat(sqltypes.Float):
    def get_col_spec(self):
        return "FLOAT(%(precision)s)" % {'precision': self.precision}

    def bind_processor(self, dialect):
        def process(value):
            """By converting to string, we can use Decimal types round-trip."""
            if not value is None:
                return str(value)
            return None
        return process

class MSInteger(sqltypes.Integer):
    def get_col_spec(self):
        return "INTEGER"

class MSBigInteger(MSInteger):
    def get_col_spec(self):
        return "BIGINT"

class MSTinyInteger(MSInteger):
    def get_col_spec(self):
        return "TINYINT"

class MSSmallInteger(MSInteger):
    def get_col_spec(self):
        return "SMALLINT"

class MSDateTime(sqltypes.DateTime):
    def __init__(self, *a, **kw):
        super(MSDateTime, self).__init__(False)

    def get_col_spec(self):
        return "DATETIME"

class MSSmallDate(sqltypes.Date):
    def __init__(self, *a, **kw):
        super(MSSmallDate, self).__init__(False)

    def get_col_spec(self):
        return "SMALLDATETIME"

    def result_processor(self, dialect):
        def process(value):
            # If the DBAPI returns the value as datetime.datetime(), truncate it back to datetime.date()
            if type(value) is datetime.datetime:
                return value.date()
            return value
        return process

class MSDate(sqltypes.Date):
    def __init__(self, *a, **kw):
        super(MSDate, self).__init__(False)

    def get_col_spec(self):
        return "DATETIME"

    def result_processor(self, dialect):
        def process(value):
            # If the DBAPI returns the value as datetime.datetime(), truncate it back to datetime.date()
            if type(value) is datetime.datetime:
                return value.date()
            return value
        return process

class MSTime(sqltypes.Time):
    __zero_date = datetime.date(1900, 1, 1)

    def __init__(self, *a, **kw):
        super(MSTime, self).__init__(False)

    def get_col_spec(self):
        return "DATETIME"

    def bind_processor(self, dialect):
        def process(value):
            if type(value) is datetime.datetime:
                value = datetime.datetime.combine(self.__zero_date, value.time())
            elif type(value) is datetime.time:
                value = datetime.datetime.combine(self.__zero_date, value)
            return value
        return process

    def result_processor(self, dialect):
        def process(value):
            if type(value) is datetime.datetime:
                return value.time()
            elif type(value) is datetime.date:
                return datetime.time(0, 0, 0)
            return value
        return process

class MSDateTime_adodbapi(MSDateTime):
    def result_processor(self, dialect):
        def process(value):
            # adodbapi will return datetimes with empty time values as datetime.date() objects.
            # Promote them back to full datetime.datetime()
            if type(value) is datetime.date:
                return datetime.datetime(value.year, value.month, value.day)
            return value
        return process

class MSDateTime_pyodbc(MSDateTime):
    def bind_processor(self, dialect):
        def process(value):
            if type(value) is datetime.date:
                return datetime.datetime(value.year, value.month, value.day)
            return value
        return process

class MSDate_pyodbc(MSDate):
    def bind_processor(self, dialect):
        def process(value):
            if type(value) is datetime.date:
                return datetime.datetime(value.year, value.month, value.day)
            return value
        return process

class MSText(sqltypes.Text):
    def get_col_spec(self):
        if self.dialect.text_as_varchar:
            return "VARCHAR(max)"
        else:
            return "TEXT"

class MSString(sqltypes.String):
    def get_col_spec(self):
        return "VARCHAR(%(length)s)" % {'length' : self.length}

class MSNVarchar(sqltypes.Unicode):
    def get_col_spec(self):
        if self.length:
            return "NVARCHAR(%(length)s)" % {'length' : self.length}
        elif self.dialect.text_as_varchar:
            return "NVARCHAR(max)"
        else:
            return "NTEXT"

class AdoMSNVarchar(MSNVarchar):
    """overrides bindparam/result processing to not convert any unicode strings"""
    def bind_processor(self, dialect):
        return None

    def result_processor(self, dialect):
        return None

class MSChar(sqltypes.CHAR):
    def get_col_spec(self):
        return "CHAR(%(length)s)" % {'length' : self.length}

class MSNChar(sqltypes.NCHAR):
    def get_col_spec(self):
        return "NCHAR(%(length)s)" % {'length' : self.length}

class MSBinary(sqltypes.Binary):
    def get_col_spec(self):
        return "IMAGE"

class MSBoolean(sqltypes.Boolean):
    def get_col_spec(self):
        return "BIT"

    def result_processor(self, dialect):
        def process(value):
            if value is None:
                return None
            return value and True or False
        return process

    def bind_processor(self, dialect):
        def process(value):
            if value is True:
                return 1
            elif value is False:
                return 0
            elif value is None:
                return None
            else:
                return value and True or False
        return process

class MSTimeStamp(sqltypes.TIMESTAMP):
    def get_col_spec(self):
        return "TIMESTAMP"

class MSMoney(sqltypes.TypeEngine):
    def get_col_spec(self):
        return "MONEY"

class MSSmallMoney(MSMoney):
    def get_col_spec(self):
        return "SMALLMONEY"

class MSUniqueIdentifier(sqltypes.TypeEngine):
    def get_col_spec(self):
        return "UNIQUEIDENTIFIER"

class MSVariant(sqltypes.TypeEngine):
    def get_col_spec(self):
        return "SQL_VARIANT"

class MSSQLExecutionContext(default.DefaultExecutionContext):
    def __init__(self, *args, **kwargs):
        self.IINSERT = self.HASIDENT = False
        super(MSSQLExecutionContext, self).__init__(*args, **kwargs)

    def _has_implicit_sequence(self, column):
        if column.primary_key and column.autoincrement:
            if isinstance(column.type, sqltypes.Integer) and not column.foreign_keys:
                if column.default is None or (isinstance(column.default, schema.Sequence) and \
                                              column.default.optional):
                    return True
        return False

    def pre_exec(self):
        """MS-SQL has a special mode for inserting non-NULL values
        into IDENTITY columns.

        Activate it if the feature is turned on and needed.
        """
        if self.compiled.isinsert:
            tbl = self.compiled.statement.table
            if not hasattr(tbl, 'has_sequence'):
                tbl.has_sequence = None
                for column in tbl.c:
                    if getattr(column, 'sequence', False) or self._has_implicit_sequence(column):
                        tbl.has_sequence = column
                        break

            self.HASIDENT = bool(tbl.has_sequence)
            if self.dialect.auto_identity_insert and self.HASIDENT:
                if isinstance(self.compiled_parameters, list):
                    self.IINSERT = tbl.has_sequence.key in self.compiled_parameters[0]
                else:
                    self.IINSERT = tbl.has_sequence.key in self.compiled_parameters
            else:
                self.IINSERT = False

            if self.IINSERT:
                self.cursor.execute("SET IDENTITY_INSERT %s ON" % self.dialect.identifier_preparer.format_table(self.compiled.statement.table))

        super(MSSQLExecutionContext, self).pre_exec()

    def post_exec(self):
        """Turn off the INDENTITY_INSERT mode if it's been activated,
        and fetch recently inserted IDENTIFY values (works only for
        one column).
        """

        if self.compiled.isinsert and (not self.executemany) and self.HASIDENT and not self.IINSERT:
            if not len(self._last_inserted_ids) or self._last_inserted_ids[0] is None:
                if self.dialect.use_scope_identity:
                    self.cursor.execute("SELECT scope_identity() AS lastrowid")
                else:
                    self.cursor.execute("SELECT @@identity AS lastrowid")
                row = self.cursor.fetchone()
                self._last_inserted_ids = [int(row[0])] + self._last_inserted_ids[1:]
        super(MSSQLExecutionContext, self).post_exec()

class MSSQLExecutionContext_pyodbc (MSSQLExecutionContext):
    def pre_exec(self):
        """where appropriate, issue "select scope_identity()" in the same statement"""
        super(MSSQLExecutionContext_pyodbc, self).pre_exec()
        if self.compiled.isinsert and self.HASIDENT and (not self.IINSERT) \
                and len(self.parameters) == 1 and self.dialect.use_scope_identity:
            self.statement += "; select scope_identity()"

    def post_exec(self):
        if self.compiled.isinsert and self.HASIDENT and (not self.IINSERT) and self.dialect.use_scope_identity:
            # do nothing - id was fetched in dialect.do_execute()
            pass
        else:
            super(MSSQLExecutionContext_pyodbc, self).post_exec()

class MSSQLDialect(default.DefaultDialect):
    name = 'mssql'
    supports_default_values = True
    supports_empty_insert = False

    colspecs = {
        sqltypes.Unicode : MSNVarchar,
        sqltypes.Integer : MSInteger,
        sqltypes.Smallinteger: MSSmallInteger,
        sqltypes.Numeric : MSNumeric,
        sqltypes.Float : MSFloat,
        sqltypes.DateTime : MSDateTime,
        sqltypes.Date : MSDate,
        sqltypes.Time : MSTime,
        sqltypes.String : MSString,
        sqltypes.Binary : MSBinary,
        sqltypes.Boolean : MSBoolean,
        sqltypes.Text : MSText,
        sqltypes.CHAR: MSChar,
        sqltypes.NCHAR: MSNChar,
        sqltypes.TIMESTAMP: MSTimeStamp,
    }

    ischema_names = {
        'int' : MSInteger,
        'bigint': MSBigInteger,
        'smallint' : MSSmallInteger,
        'tinyint' : MSTinyInteger,
        'varchar' : MSString,
        'nvarchar' : MSNVarchar,
        'char' : MSChar,
        'nchar' : MSNChar,
        'text' : MSText,
        'ntext' : MSText,
        'decimal' : MSNumeric,
        'numeric' : MSNumeric,
        'float' : MSFloat,
        'datetime' : MSDateTime,
        'date': MSDate,
        'smalldatetime' : MSSmallDate,
        'binary' : MSBinary,
        'varbinary' : MSBinary,
        'bit': MSBoolean,
        'real' : MSFloat,
        'image' : MSBinary,
        'timestamp': MSTimeStamp,
        'money': MSMoney,
        'smallmoney': MSSmallMoney,
        'uniqueidentifier': MSUniqueIdentifier,
        'sql_variant': MSVariant,
    }

    def __new__(cls, dbapi=None, *args, **kwargs):
        if cls != MSSQLDialect:
            return super(MSSQLDialect, cls).__new__(cls, *args, **kwargs)
        if dbapi:
            dialect = dialect_mapping.get(dbapi.__name__)
            return dialect(*args, **kwargs)
        else:
            return object.__new__(cls, *args, **kwargs)

    def __init__(self, auto_identity_insert=True, **params):
        super(MSSQLDialect, self).__init__(**params)
        self.auto_identity_insert = auto_identity_insert
        self.text_as_varchar = False
        self.use_scope_identity = False
        self.has_window_funcs = False
        self.set_default_schema_name("dbo")

    def dbapi(cls, module_name=None):
        if module_name:
            try:
                dialect_cls = dialect_mapping[module_name]
                return dialect_cls.import_dbapi()
            except KeyError:
                raise exc.InvalidRequestError("Unsupported MSSQL module '%s' requested (must be adodbpi, pymssql or pyodbc)" % module_name)
        else:
            for dialect_cls in [MSSQLDialect_pyodbc, MSSQLDialect_pymssql, MSSQLDialect_adodbapi]:
                try:
                    return dialect_cls.import_dbapi()
                except ImportError, e:
                    pass
            else:
                raise ImportError('No DBAPI module detected for MSSQL - please install pyodbc, pymssql, or adodbapi')
    dbapi = classmethod(dbapi)

    def server_version_info(self, connection):
        """A tuple of the database server version.

        Formats the remote server version as a tuple of version values,
        e.g. ``(9, 0, 1399)``.  If there are strings in the version number
        they will be in the tuple too, so don't count on these all being
        ``int`` values.

        This is a fast check that does not require a round trip.  It is also
        cached per-Connection.
        """
        return connection.dialect._server_version_info(connection.connection)
    server_version_info = base.connection_memoize(
        ('mssql', 'server_version_info'))(server_version_info)

    def _server_version_info(self, dbapi_con):
        """Return a tuple of the database's version number."""

        raise NotImplementedError()

    def create_connect_args(self, url):
        opts = url.translate_connect_args(username='user')
        opts.update(url.query)
        if 'auto_identity_insert' in opts:
            self.auto_identity_insert = bool(int(opts.pop('auto_identity_insert')))
        if 'query_timeout' in opts:
            self.query_timeout = int(opts.pop('query_timeout'))
        if 'text_as_varchar' in opts:
            self.text_as_varchar = bool(int(opts.pop('text_as_varchar')))
        if 'use_scope_identity' in opts:
            self.use_scope_identity = bool(int(opts.pop('use_scope_identity')))
        if 'has_window_funcs' in opts:
            self.has_window_funcs =  bool(int(opts.pop('has_window_funcs')))
        return self.make_connect_string(opts)

    def create_execution_context(self, *args, **kwargs):
        return MSSQLExecutionContext(self, *args, **kwargs)

    def type_descriptor(self, typeobj):
        newobj = sqltypes.adapt_type(typeobj, self.colspecs)
        # Some types need to know about the dialect
        if isinstance(newobj, (MSText, MSNVarchar)):
            newobj.dialect = self
        return newobj

    def last_inserted_ids(self):
        return self.context.last_inserted_ids

    def get_default_schema_name(self, connection):
        return self.schema_name

    def set_default_schema_name(self, schema_name):
        self.schema_name = schema_name

    def last_inserted_ids(self):
        return self.context.last_inserted_ids

    def do_execute(self, cursor, statement, params, context=None, **kwargs):
        if params == {}:
            params = ()
        try:
            super(MSSQLDialect, self).do_execute(cursor, statement, params, context=context, **kwargs)
        finally:
            if context.IINSERT:
                cursor.execute("SET IDENTITY_INSERT %s OFF" % self.identifier_preparer.format_table(context.compiled.statement.table))

    def do_executemany(self, cursor, statement, params, context=None, **kwargs):
        try:
            super(MSSQLDialect, self).do_executemany(cursor, statement, params, context=context, **kwargs)
        finally:
            if context.IINSERT:
                cursor.execute("SET IDENTITY_INSERT %s OFF" % self.identifier_preparer.format_table(context.compiled.statement.table))

    def _execute(self, c, statement, parameters):
        try:
            if parameters == {}:
                parameters = ()
            c.execute(statement, parameters)
            self.context.rowcount = c.rowcount
            c.DBPROP_COMMITPRESERVE = "Y"
        except Exception, e:
            raise exc.DBAPIError.instance(statement, parameters, e)

    def table_names(self, connection, schema):
        from sqlalchemy.databases import information_schema as ischema
        return ischema.table_names(connection, schema)

    def raw_connection(self, connection):
        """Pull the raw pymmsql connection out--sensative to "pool.ConnectionFairy" and pymssql.pymssqlCnx Classes"""
        try:
            # TODO: probably want to move this to individual dialect subclasses to
            # save on the exception throw + simplify
            return connection.connection.__dict__['_pymssqlCnx__cnx']
        except:
            return connection.connection.adoConn

    def uppercase_table(self, t):
        # convert all names to uppercase -- fixes refs to INFORMATION_SCHEMA for case-senstive DBs, and won't matter for case-insensitive
        t.name = t.name.upper()
        if t.schema:
            t.schema = t.schema.upper()
        for c in t.columns:
            c.name = c.name.upper()
        return t

    def has_table(self, connection, tablename, schema=None):
        import sqlalchemy.databases.information_schema as ischema

        current_schema = schema or self.get_default_schema_name(connection)
        columns = self.uppercase_table(ischema.columns)
        s = sql.select([columns],
                   current_schema
                       and sql.and_(columns.c.table_name==tablename, columns.c.table_schema==current_schema)
                       or columns.c.table_name==tablename,
                   )

        c = connection.execute(s)
        row  = c.fetchone()
        return row is not None

    def get_columns(self, connection, table_name, schema=None, info_cache=None):
        import sqlalchemy.databases.information_schema as ischema
        # Get base columns
        columns_list = []
        if schema is not None:
            current_schema = schema
        else:
            current_schema = self.get_default_schema_name(connection)
        columns = self.uppercase_table(ischema.columns)
        s = sql.select([columns],
                   current_schema
                       and sql.and_(columns.c.table_name==table_name, columns.c.table_schema==current_schema)
                       or columns.c.table_name==table.name,
                   order_by=[columns.c.ordinal_position])
        c = connection.execute(s)
        found_table = False
        while True:
            row = c.fetchone()
            if row is None:
                break
            found_table = True
            (name, type, nullable, charlen, numericprec, numericscale, default) = (
                row[columns.c.column_name],
                row[columns.c.data_type],
                row[columns.c.is_nullable] == 'YES',
                row[columns.c.character_maximum_length],
                row[columns.c.numeric_precision],
                row[columns.c.numeric_scale],
                row[columns.c.column_default]
            )
            args = []
            for a in (charlen, numericprec, numericscale):
                if a is not None:
                    args.append(a)
            coltype = self.ischema_names.get(type, None)
            if coltype == MSText or (coltype == MSString and charlen == -1):
                coltype = MSText()
            else:
                if coltype is None:
                    util.warn("Did not recognize type '%s' of column '%s'" %
                              (type, name))
                    coltype = sqltypes.NULLTYPE

                elif coltype in (MSNVarchar, AdoMSNVarchar) and charlen == -1:
                    args[0] = None
                coltype = coltype(*args)
            other_args = []
            columns_list.append((name, coltype, nullable, default, other_args))
        if not found_table:
            raise exc.NoSuchTableError(table.name)
        return columns_list

    def get_primary_keys(self, connection, table_name, schema=None,
                         info_cache=None):
        import sqlalchemy.databases.information_schema as ischema
        current_schema = self.get_default_schema_name(connection)
        # Add constraints
        RR = self.uppercase_table(ischema.ref_constraints)    #information_schema.referential_constraints
        TC = self.uppercase_table(ischema.constraints)        #information_schema.table_constraints
        C  = self.uppercase_table(ischema.pg_key_constraints).alias('C') #information_schema.constraint_column_usage: the constrained column
        R  = self.uppercase_table(ischema.pg_key_constraints).alias('R') #information_schema.constraint_column_usage: the referenced column
        s = sql.select([C.c.column_name, TC.c.constraint_type],
            sql.and_(TC.c.constraint_name == C.c.constraint_name,
                     C.c.table_name == table_name,
                     C.c.table_schema == (schema or current_schema)
            )
        )
        c = connection.execute(s)
        pkeys = []
        for row in c:
            if 'PRIMARY' in row[TC.c.constraint_type.name]:
                pkeys.append((row[0], ))
        return pkeys

    def get_foreign_keys(self, connection, table_name, schema=None,
                         info_cache=None):
        import sqlalchemy.databases.information_schema as ischema
        current_schema = self.get_default_schema_name(connection)
        # Add constraints
        RR = self.uppercase_table(ischema.ref_constraints)    #information_schema.referential_constraints
        TC = self.uppercase_table(ischema.constraints)        #information_schema.table_constraints
        C  = self.uppercase_table(ischema.pg_key_constraints).alias('C') #information_schema.constraint_column_usage: the constrained column
        R  = self.uppercase_table(ischema.pg_key_constraints).alias('R') #information_schema.constraint_column_usage: the referenced column
        fkeys = []
        # Foreign key constraints
        s = sql.select([C.c.column_name.label('local_column_name'),
                        R.c.table_schema.label('remote_schema'),
                        R.c.table_name.label('remote_table_name'),
                        R.c.column_name.label('remote_column_name'),
                        RR.c.constraint_name,
                        RR.c.match_option, RR.c.update_rule, RR.c.delete_rule],
                       sql.and_(C.c.table_name == table_name,
                                C.c.table_schema == (schema or current_schema),
                                C.c.constraint_name == RR.c.constraint_name,
                                R.c.constraint_name == RR.c.unique_constraint_name,
                                C.c.ordinal_position == R.c.ordinal_position
                                ),
                       order_by = [RR.c.constraint_name, R.c.ordinal_position])
        rows = connection.execute(s).fetchall()
        # Group the columns.
        fkeyd = {}
        for rset in rows:
            if rset.constraint_name not in fkeyd:
                fkeyd[rset.constraint_name] = dict(
                    remote_cols=[], local_cols=[])
            fkey = fkeyd[rset.oridinal_position]
            fkey['remote_cols'].append(rset.remote_column_name)
            fkey['local_cols'].append(rset.local_column_name)
            fkey['remote_schema'] = rset.remote_table_schema
            fkey['remote_table'] = rset.remote_table_name
            fkey['match_option'] = rset.match_option
            fkey['update_rule'] = rset.update_rule
            fkey['delete_rule'] = rset.delete_rule
            fkey['constraint_name'] = rset.constraint_name
        position_keys = fkeyd.keys()
        position_keys.sort()
        for pos_key in position_keys:
            fkey = fkeyd[pos_key]
            fkeys.append((
                fkey['constraint_name'],
                fkey['local_cols'],
                fkey['remote_schema'],
                fkey['remote_table'],
                fkey['remote_cols'],
                fkey['match_option'],
                fkey['update_rule'],
                fkey['delete_rule'],
                )
            )
        return fkeys

    def reflecttable(self, connection, table, include_columns):
        import sqlalchemy.databases.information_schema as ischema
        # Get base columns
        if table.schema is not None:
            current_schema = table.schema
        else:
            current_schema = self.get_default_schema_name(connection)
        # Columns
        columns_list = self.get_columns(connection, table.name, current_schema)
        for (name, coltype, nullable, default, other_args) in columns_list:
            if include_columns and name not in include_columns:
                continue
            colargs = []
            if default is not None:
                colargs.append(schema.DefaultClause(sql.text(default)))
            table.append_column(schema.Column(name, coltype, nullable=nullable, autoincrement=False, *colargs))
        # fixme:  factoring out autoincrement/sequence info should standardize
        # column reflection.
        # We also run an sp_columns to check for identity columns:
        cursor = connection.execute("sp_columns @table_name = '%s', @table_owner = '%s'" % (table.name, current_schema))
        ic = None
        while True:
            row = cursor.fetchone()
            if row is None:
                break
            col_name, type_name = row[3], row[5]
            if type_name.endswith("identity"):
                ic = table.c[col_name]
                ic.autoincrement = True
                # setup a psuedo-sequence to represent the identity attribute - we interpret this at table.create() time as the identity attribute
                ic.sequence = schema.Sequence(ic.name + '_identity')
                # MSSQL: only one identity per table allowed
                cursor.close()
                break
        if not ic is None:
            try:
                cursor = connection.execute("select ident_seed(?), ident_incr(?)", table.fullname, table.fullname)
                row = cursor.fetchone()
                cursor.close()
                if not row is None:
                    ic.sequence.start = int(row[0])
                    ic.sequence.increment = int(row[1])
            except:
                # ignoring it, works just like before
                pass

        # Primary Keys
        for row in self.get_primary_keys(connection, table.name, table.schema):
            table.primary_key.add(table.c[row[0]])

        # Foreign Keys
        self._reflect_foreign_keys(connection, table)

class MSSQLDialect_pymssql(MSSQLDialect):
    supports_sane_rowcount = False
    max_identifier_length = 30

    def import_dbapi(cls):
        import pymssql as module
        # pymmsql doesn't have a Binary method.  we use string
        # TODO: monkeypatching here is less than ideal
        module.Binary = lambda st: str(st)
        return module
    import_dbapi = classmethod(import_dbapi)

    ischema_names = MSSQLDialect.ischema_names.copy()

    def __init__(self, **params):
        super(MSSQLDialect_pymssql, self).__init__(**params)
        self.use_scope_identity = True

        # pymssql understands only ascii
        if self.convert_unicode:
            self.encoding = params.get('encoding', 'ascii')

    def do_rollback(self, connection):
        # pymssql throws an error on repeated rollbacks. Ignore it.
        # TODO: this is normal behavior for most DBs.  are we sure we want to ignore it ?
        try:
            connection.rollback()
        except:
            pass

    def create_connect_args(self, url):
        r = super(MSSQLDialect_pymssql, self).create_connect_args(url)
        if hasattr(self, 'query_timeout'):
            self.dbapi._mssql.set_query_timeout(self.query_timeout)
        return r

    def make_connect_string(self, keys):
        if keys.get('port'):
            # pymssql expects port as host:port, not a separate arg
            keys['host'] = ''.join([keys.get('host', ''), ':', str(keys['port'])])
            del keys['port']
        return [[], keys]

    def is_disconnect(self, e):
        return isinstance(e, self.dbapi.DatabaseError) and "Error 10054" in str(e)

class MSSQLDialect_pyodbc(MSSQLDialect):
    supports_sane_rowcount = False
    supports_sane_multi_rowcount = False
    # PyODBC unicode is broken on UCS-4 builds
    supports_unicode = sys.maxunicode == 65535
    supports_unicode_statements = supports_unicode

    def __init__(self, **params):
        super(MSSQLDialect_pyodbc, self).__init__(**params)
        # whether use_scope_identity will work depends on the version of pyodbc
        try:
            import pyodbc
            self.use_scope_identity = hasattr(pyodbc.Cursor, 'nextset')
        except:
            pass

    def import_dbapi(cls):
        import pyodbc as module
        return module
    import_dbapi = classmethod(import_dbapi)

    colspecs = MSSQLDialect.colspecs.copy()
    if supports_unicode:
        colspecs[sqltypes.Unicode] = AdoMSNVarchar
    colspecs[sqltypes.Date] = MSDate_pyodbc
    colspecs[sqltypes.DateTime] = MSDateTime_pyodbc

    ischema_names = MSSQLDialect.ischema_names.copy()
    if supports_unicode:
        ischema_names['nvarchar'] = AdoMSNVarchar
    ischema_names['smalldatetime'] = MSDate_pyodbc
    ischema_names['datetime'] = MSDateTime_pyodbc

    def make_connect_string(self, keys):
        if 'max_identifier_length' in keys:
            self.max_identifier_length = int(keys.pop('max_identifier_length'))
        if 'dsn' in keys:
            connectors = ['dsn=%s' % keys.pop('dsn')]
        else:
            port = ''
            if 'port' in keys and (
                keys.get('driver', 'SQL Server') == 'SQL Server'):
                port = ',%d' % int(keys.pop('port'))

            connectors = ["DRIVER={%s}" % keys.pop('driver', 'SQL Server'),
                          'Server=%s%s' % (keys.pop('host', ''), port),
                          'Database=%s' % keys.pop('database', '') ]

            if 'port' in keys and not port:
                connectors.append('Port=%d' % int(keys.pop('port')))

        user = keys.pop("user", None)
        if user:
            connectors.append("UID=%s" % user)
            connectors.append("PWD=%s" % keys.pop('password', ''))
        else:
            connectors.append("TrustedConnection=Yes")

        # if set to 'Yes', the ODBC layer will try to automagically convert
        # textual data from your database encoding to your client encoding
        # This should obviously be set to 'No' if you query a cp1253 encoded
        # database from a latin1 client...
        if 'odbc_autotranslate' in keys:
            connectors.append("AutoTranslate=%s" % keys.pop("odbc_autotranslate"))

        # Allow specification of partial ODBC connect string
        if 'odbc_options' in keys:
            odbc_options=keys.pop('odbc_options')
            if odbc_options[0]=="'" and odbc_options[-1]=="'":
                odbc_options=odbc_options[1:-1]
            connectors.append(odbc_options)
        connectors.extend(['%s=%s' % (k,v) for k,v in keys.iteritems()])
        return [[";".join (connectors)], {}]

    def is_disconnect(self, e):
        if isinstance(e, self.dbapi.ProgrammingError):
            return "The cursor's connection has been closed." in str(e) or 'Attempt to use a closed connection.' in str(e)
        elif isinstance(e, self.dbapi.Error):
            return '[08S01]' in str(e)
        else:
            return False

    def create_execution_context(self, *args, **kwargs):
        return MSSQLExecutionContext_pyodbc(self, *args, **kwargs)

    def do_execute(self, cursor, statement, parameters, context=None, **kwargs):
        super(MSSQLDialect_pyodbc, self).do_execute(cursor, statement, parameters, context=context, **kwargs)
        if context and context.HASIDENT and (not context.IINSERT) and context.dialect.use_scope_identity:
            import pyodbc
            # Fetch the last inserted id from the manipulated statement
            # We may have to skip over a number of result sets with no data (due to triggers, etc.)
            while True:
                try:
                    row = cursor.fetchone()
                    break
                except pyodbc.Error, e:
                    cursor.nextset()
            context._last_inserted_ids = [int(row[0])]

    def _server_version_info(self, dbapi_con):
        """Convert a pyodbc SQL_DBMS_VER string into a tuple."""

        version = []
        r = re.compile('[.\-]')
        for n in r.split(dbapi_con.getinfo(self.dbapi.SQL_DBMS_VER)):
            try:
                version.append(int(n))
            except ValueError:
                version.append(n)
        return tuple(version)

class MSSQLDialect_adodbapi(MSSQLDialect):
    supports_sane_rowcount = True
    supports_sane_multi_rowcount = True
    supports_unicode = sys.maxunicode == 65535
    supports_unicode_statements = True

    def import_dbapi(cls):
        import adodbapi as module
        return module
    import_dbapi = classmethod(import_dbapi)

    colspecs = MSSQLDialect.colspecs.copy()
    colspecs[sqltypes.Unicode] = AdoMSNVarchar
    colspecs[sqltypes.DateTime] = MSDateTime_adodbapi

    ischema_names = MSSQLDialect.ischema_names.copy()
    ischema_names['nvarchar'] = AdoMSNVarchar
    ischema_names['datetime'] = MSDateTime_adodbapi

    def make_connect_string(self, keys):
        connectors = ["Provider=SQLOLEDB"]
        if 'port' in keys:
            connectors.append ("Data Source=%s, %s" % (keys.get("host"), keys.get("port")))
        else:
            connectors.append ("Data Source=%s" % keys.get("host"))
        connectors.append ("Initial Catalog=%s" % keys.get("database"))
        user = keys.get("user")
        if user:
            connectors.append("User Id=%s" % user)
            connectors.append("Password=%s" % keys.get("password", ""))
        else:
            connectors.append("Integrated Security=SSPI")
        return [[";".join (connectors)], {}]

    def is_disconnect(self, e):
        return isinstance(e, self.dbapi.adodbapi.DatabaseError) and "'connection failure'" in str(e)

dialect_mapping = {
    'pymssql':  MSSQLDialect_pymssql,
    'pyodbc':   MSSQLDialect_pyodbc,
    'adodbapi': MSSQLDialect_adodbapi
    }

class MSSQLCompiler(compiler.DefaultCompiler):
    operators = compiler.OPERATORS.copy()
    operators.update({
        sql_operators.concat_op: '+',
        sql_operators.match_op: lambda x, y: "CONTAINS (%s, %s)" % (x, y)
    })

    functions = compiler.DefaultCompiler.functions.copy()
    functions.update (
        {
            sql_functions.now: 'CURRENT_TIMESTAMP',
            sql_functions.current_date: 'GETDATE()',
            'length': lambda x: "LEN(%s)" % x
        }
    )

    def __init__(self, *args, **kwargs):
        super(MSSQLCompiler, self).__init__(*args, **kwargs)
        self.tablealiases = {}

    def get_select_precolumns(self, select):
        """ MS-SQL puts TOP, it's version of LIMIT here """
        if select._distinct or select._limit:
            s = select._distinct and "DISTINCT " or ""

            if select._limit:
                if not select._offset:
                    s += "TOP %s " % (select._limit,)
                else:
                    if not self.dialect.has_window_funcs:
                        raise exc.InvalidRequestError('MSSQL does not support LIMIT with an offset')
            return s
        return compiler.DefaultCompiler.get_select_precolumns(self, select)

    def limit_clause(self, select):
        # Limit in mssql is after the select keyword
        return ""

    def visit_select(self, select, **kwargs):
        """Look for ``LIMIT`` and OFFSET in a select statement, and if
        so tries to wrap it in a subquery with ``row_number()`` criterion.

        """
        if self.dialect.has_window_funcs and (not getattr(select, '_mssql_visit', None)) and select._offset:
            # to use ROW_NUMBER(), an ORDER BY is required.
            orderby = self.process(select._order_by_clause)
            if not orderby:
                raise exc.InvalidRequestError('MSSQL requires an order_by when using an offset.')

            _offset = select._offset
            _limit = select._limit
            select._mssql_visit = True
            select = select.column(sql.literal_column("ROW_NUMBER() OVER (ORDER BY %s)" % orderby).label("mssql_rn")).order_by(None).alias()

            limitselect = sql.select([c for c in select.c if c.key!='mssql_rn'])
            limitselect.append_whereclause("mssql_rn>%d" % _offset)
            if _limit is not None:
                limitselect.append_whereclause("mssql_rn<=%d" % (_limit + _offset))
            return self.process(limitselect, iswrapper=True, **kwargs)
        else:
            return compiler.DefaultCompiler.visit_select(self, select, **kwargs)

    def _schema_aliased_table(self, table):
        if getattr(table, 'schema', None) is not None:
            if table not in self.tablealiases:
                self.tablealiases[table] = table.alias()
            return self.tablealiases[table]
        else:
            return None

    def visit_table(self, table, mssql_aliased=False, **kwargs):
        if mssql_aliased:
            return super(MSSQLCompiler, self).visit_table(table, **kwargs)

        # alias schema-qualified tables
        alias = self._schema_aliased_table(table)
        if alias is not None:
            return self.process(alias, mssql_aliased=True, **kwargs)
        else:
            return super(MSSQLCompiler, self).visit_table(table, **kwargs)

    def visit_alias(self, alias, **kwargs):
        # translate for schema-qualified table aliases
        self.tablealiases[alias.original] = alias
        kwargs['mssql_aliased'] = True
        return super(MSSQLCompiler, self).visit_alias(alias, **kwargs)

    def visit_column(self, column, result_map=None, **kwargs):
        if column.table is not None and not self.isupdate and not self.isdelete:
            # translate for schema-qualified table aliases
            t = self._schema_aliased_table(column.table)
            if t is not None:
                converted = expression._corresponding_column_or_error(t, column)

                if result_map is not None:
                    result_map[column.name.lower()] = (column.name, (column, ), column.type)

                return super(MSSQLCompiler, self).visit_column(converted, result_map=None, **kwargs)

        return super(MSSQLCompiler, self).visit_column(column, result_map=result_map, **kwargs)

    def visit_binary(self, binary, **kwargs):
        """Move bind parameters to the right-hand side of an operator, where possible."""

        if isinstance(binary.left, expression._BindParamClause) and binary.operator == operator.eq \
            and not isinstance(binary.right, expression._BindParamClause):
            return self.process(expression._BinaryExpression(binary.right, binary.left, binary.operator), **kwargs)
        else:
            if (binary.operator in (operator.eq, operator.ne)) and (
                (isinstance(binary.left, expression._FromGrouping) and isinstance(binary.left.element, expression._ScalarSelect)) or \
                (isinstance(binary.right, expression._FromGrouping) and isinstance(binary.right.element, expression._ScalarSelect)) or \
                 isinstance(binary.left, expression._ScalarSelect) or isinstance(binary.right, expression._ScalarSelect)):
                op = binary.operator == operator.eq and "IN" or "NOT IN"
                return self.process(expression._BinaryExpression(binary.left, binary.right, op), **kwargs)
            return super(MSSQLCompiler, self).visit_binary(binary, **kwargs)

    def label_select_column(self, select, column, asfrom):
        if isinstance(column, expression._Function):
            return column.label(None)
        else:
            return super(MSSQLCompiler, self).label_select_column(select, column, asfrom)

    def for_update_clause(self, select):
        # "FOR UPDATE" is only allowed on "DECLARE CURSOR" which SQLAlchemy doesn't use
        return ''

    def order_by_clause(self, select):
        order_by = self.process(select._order_by_clause)

        # MSSQL only allows ORDER BY in subqueries if there is a LIMIT
        if order_by and (not self.is_subquery() or select._limit):
            return " ORDER BY " + order_by
        else:
            return ""

class MSSQLSchemaGenerator(compiler.SchemaGenerator):
    def get_column_specification(self, column, **kwargs):
        colspec = self.preparer.format_column(column) + " " + column.type.dialect_impl(self.dialect).get_col_spec()

        # install a IDENTITY Sequence if we have an implicit IDENTITY column
        if (not getattr(column.table, 'has_sequence', False)) and column.primary_key and \
                column.autoincrement and isinstance(column.type, sqltypes.Integer) and not column.foreign_keys:
            if column.default is None or (isinstance(column.default, schema.Sequence) and column.default.optional):
                column.sequence = schema.Sequence(column.name + '_seq')

        if not column.nullable:
            colspec += " NOT NULL"

        if hasattr(column, 'sequence'):
            column.table.has_sequence = column
            colspec += " IDENTITY(%s,%s)" % (column.sequence.start or 1, column.sequence.increment or 1)
        else:
            default = self.get_column_default_string(column)
            if default is not None:
                colspec += " DEFAULT " + default

        return colspec

class MSSQLSchemaDropper(compiler.SchemaDropper):
    def visit_index(self, index):
        self.append("\nDROP INDEX %s.%s" % (
            self.preparer.quote_identifier(index.table.name),
            self.preparer.quote(self._validate_identifier(index.name, False), index.quote)
            ))
        self.execute()

class MSSQLDefaultRunner(base.DefaultRunner):
    # TODO: does ms-sql have standalone sequences ?
    # A: No, only auto-incrementing IDENTITY property of a column
    pass

class MSSQLIdentifierPreparer(compiler.IdentifierPreparer):
    reserved_words = compiler.IdentifierPreparer.reserved_words.union(MSSQL_RESERVED_WORDS)

    def __init__(self, dialect):
        super(MSSQLIdentifierPreparer, self).__init__(dialect, initial_quote='[', final_quote=']')

    def _escape_identifier(self, value):
        #TODO: determin MSSQL's escapeing rules
        return value

dialect = MSSQLDialect
dialect.statement_compiler = MSSQLCompiler
dialect.schemagenerator = MSSQLSchemaGenerator
dialect.schemadropper = MSSQLSchemaDropper
dialect.preparer = MSSQLIdentifierPreparer
dialect.defaultrunner = MSSQLDefaultRunner