Hi there,
I try to grasp relations ..

I have an m:n association between two tables.

this is what I do:
engine = sa.create_engine('mysql://[EMAIL PROTECTED]/energie_2', echo=True)
Session = sessionmaker(bind=engine)
session = Session()

this is what I have:
tblPersonTable and tblSupplierTable derived from BASE and work fine on
their own

class User(tblPersonTable):
    suppliers = relation(
        tblSupplierTable,
        secondary=tblPersonSupplierTable.__table__,
        backref='suppliers')

def getRecordsForUser():
    supplier = session.query(tblSupplierTable).filter_by(id=12).one()
    user=session.query(User).filter_by(plone_id='johndoe').one()
    user.suppliers.append(supplier)
    session.update(user)

as you can see User has a relation that connects to Supplier via an
association table.
in the above method I get supplier and user as expected.
user.suppliers has one entry as it should have, so the relation works.

user.suppliers.append(supplier) adds a second supplier.
now session.update(user) should write a new entry into the association
table I *think*.
but it does not.

can somebody give me a hint what I should do to make it happen?

robert