On Nov 28, 2008, at 6:58 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hi All
> I'm writing a program for graphically configuring database schemas.
> To do this, I want to use the sqlalchemy schema.py objects to store my
> metadata as its changed and modified.
>
> To do this, I think i will need three things.
> 1. Apply the meta data changes to a development database, As this is
> the easiest way to ensure integrity as you are reconfiguring the
> structure.
> 2. Store incremental changes to the metadata
> 3. Snapshot the metadata to a file so it can be restored.
>
> Does SQL Alchemy currently have any facilities to help me achieve
> items 2 and 3?

for #1 and #2, you want to use sqlalchemy-migrate at
http://code.google.com/p/sqlalchemy-migrate/
  .   For #3, the metadata object can be pickled, and for more
sophisticated serilalization of expression and ORM constructs there is
also a "serializer" extension in 0.5, documented at
http://www.sqlalchemy.org/docs/05/plugins.html#plugins_serializer
.