Thanks for the ideas.  I thought of all of the above.  The one I've
been using is the accessor which unions together the necessary
things.  My question came up when I wondered if there was some even
more fundamental way to handle these forwards-backwards cases.  I'm
glad to know I'm already doing all I can.