I tried it, as you suggested me, Michael...
    Index('valuta_desc_uniq', func.lower(valuta.c.descrizione), unique=True)

  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/sqlalchemy/schema.py", line
1045, in __init__
    self._init_items(*columns)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/sqlalchemy/schema.py", line
1052, in _init_items
    self.append_column(column)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/sqlalchemy/schema.py", line
1065, in append_column
    self._set_parent(column.table)
AttributeError: '_Function' object has no attribute 'table'