> I am using SQLAlchemy 0.5rc4.
> Is there a way to test if the values of an object are valid
> for
> commiting? I tried something like:
> try:
>       session.commit()
> except:
>       notify the user
>
> But the problem is, that if the commit fails and I change the non
> valid value to a valid one the session will still not commit.
why? if u try again and all is ok...

> One other thing I'd like to know:
> Is it possible to ask a mapped object information about the mapped
> values like:
>       - what data type is expected (int, str ...)
>       - what is the maximal length
>       - is it nullable

these things... (SQL-schema as such) are there, but may or may not be
relevant at user-level. unless it is low-level enough.
u need to traverse: for x in instance_mapper(obj).iterate_properties,
get each x.prop's column (depending on property type, see
orm.properties.py), and see what's in there.

usualy "validity" is application-concept, so it's up to you what it
means. u may use hook at a mapperExtension or sessionExtension, or
call some .validate()-like method of yours before saving.
see formEncode package for validation-only framework.

ciao
svil