I haven't been following this discussion closely, so I'm probably wrong,
but that statement doesn't sound right to me. As far as I'm aware, the
declarative layer is just a convenience for setting up Tables and mapped
classes at the same time. The end result is exactly the same as if you
created the tables and classes in the traditional way. I would be very
surprised if the above expression didn't work.

You can get the mapper for a mapped class or object using the
"class_mapper" and "object_mapper" functions.

Hope that helps,

Simon