Hi everyone,

I am developing an offline music synthesizing and sequencing
application in Python, using the SQLite backend to store song data. At
the moment, I am using my own "object relational mapper" between SQL
and Python, which is fairly minimal. I feel compelled to use
SQLAlchemy, but there are two areas where I would like to assess my
options before I go forward and embed SQLAlchemy into my application.

1) Is it possible/planned to connect signal handlers to database
changes? In my app, changing object properties will call connected
event handlers, which in turn refresh UI views. How could I do this
with SQLA?

Can you think of another way to update the UI from DB changes? Another
way could be to have a hook listen to transactions and generate
journal records from which events can be signalled - this would even
enable multiple processes to handle events. Does that sound more
plausible? Is it possible?

2) I see that SQLA supports rollback for pending transactions, which
is a great feature. But as far as I understand, it is not possible to
rollback transactions that have already been committed (undo). How
would I go about and implement such a feature into my application
best, using SQLA as a backend?

I understand that SQL is traditionally used in web services, where
event handling is virtually impossible and extensive undo/redo
functionality is rarely needed. But I believe it makes perfect sense
to use databases for document formats as well.

Looking forward to your answer.