Thanks Mike. I made some progress ( I think! ). I now have the test
class setup method successfully creating a new scoped session on each
pass, and the objects that were created originally in a turbogears
session context are being saved into that session and flushed to the
db. I think this is the right approach, fresh session for each fresh
fixture.

Now however, I'm getting the following on the second test:
InvalidRequestError: Instance 'reg...@0x2db6950' is already persistent
and looking at the session.identity_map, it's empty.

If I replace session.save(obj) with session.save_or_update(obj) the
exception does not get thrown. The new object *is* in the identity map
of the new session at the end of the test, but no SQL to insert the
object into the actual DB gets generated. ( I'm on sa 0.4.2, yes it's
a bit of a legacy case... )

I have the fixture drop and recreate the tables, so I'm hoping there
is some way of copying these objects form their prototype declaration
class into a new session and flush to the newly created tables on each
pass.

Any tips much appreciated again,
Iain