Hello Adrian,

2009/5/22 Adrian von Bidder <avbid...@fortytwo.ch>:
> On Friday 22 May 2009 08.43:09 Alexandre Conrad wrote:
>> Don't you want that non-null column to be a foreign key ?
>
> Would that make a difference?

That's what a foreign key is used for: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foreign_key

I think you should know what a foreign key is before using a tool like
SQLAlchemy. SQLAlchemy is an abstraction layer to deal with cells,
records, columns, tables, relations of databases. An abstraction layer
hides some details of lower level concepts. Abstraction layers like
SQLA are meant to ease your everyday work. But you still have to
understand lower level concepts in order to correctly use abstraction
tools like SQLAlchemy.

What you are trying to achieve is already a feature that the database
itself can handle for you. It's called a constraint. Read a few papers
about databases in general and how constraints and relations between
tables work. There's a lot of documentation about that out there.

Have fun! :)

Alex