I spent a while on converting the ASA dialect to run on ASE via pyodbc
and python Sybase on top of both 12.5.x and 15.x. It was interesting
but in hindsight I wish I had started from scratch as I burned a lot
of time on some very low-level (and ultimately uninteresting) issues
with unicode, FreeTDS, Sybase ct-lib messages etc. etc.

The code is in sybase.py in http://www.sqlalchemy.org/trac/ticket/785
and definitely has bugs/missing features. However, it does generate
prepared statements correctly with placeholders, executes them with
bind values and so on. I think that this is working for both pyodbc
over FreeTDS and the Sybase driver over ct-lib. I am lobbying with my
management to allocate some of my time for developing an ASE backend
targets at SA 0.6 .. the layout of the 0.6 code should make things a
lot simpler and cut down on the cut-and-paste between the dialects
+driver pairs.

pjjH