The FreeTDS driver needs to be passed a value encoded in the encoding
specified in the 'client charset'  part of the odbc.ini configuration
file for the data-source in question. FreeTDS will use iconv to re-
encode the data in UCS-2 (which is either what is used by SQL Server
or is equivalent to the encoding used by SQL Server).

I thought there was a bug in the mssql bind_processor but I just re-
checked the code and don't see anything obvious. I haven't been doing
any low-level SA stuff for several weeks so take this with a pinch of
salt.

pjjH