Hi Ants,

Thanks for the valuable feedback.

On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 2:30 PM, Ants Aasma<ants.aa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't have a lot of experience with geodatabases so I can't evaluate
> this from a practical perspective, but I do have a couple of thoughts
> about the general design.
>
> I'm not too keen on having the geometry functions as methods on the
> comparator. Having them there creates a namespace collision hazard. In
> my opinion it would be cleaner and closer to the OGC spec to have
> something akin to the generic function framework
> (sqlalchemy.sql.functions) that integrates into the compilation
> framework via sqlalchemy.ext.compiler. Looking at the db specific
> modules, a lot of the repetition there could be factored out by a data
> driven approach, having a base implementation and a per dialect
> dictionary that maps OGC function names to db implementation names.

This has been a matter of concern for me but I didn't know how to
tackle this. I will try out your suggestion.

> Also the GeometryDDL and Geometry classes could use some refactoring
> to support extensibility of adding new dialects. Probably via a
> registry that maps dialects to their geometry implementations. Also,
> the GeometryDDL doesn't account for the fact that dialects could be
> subclassed.

I am not sure I totally understand the solution you are suggesting.
Could you elaborate a bit more? Is there some code I could look at
that does something similar?

Thanks for your time.

regards
Sanjiv