On Oct 15, 11:50 pm, Jeff Cook <cookieca...@gmail.com> wrote:

> So, SQLAlchemy is doing something here. There probably is some
> incorrect code in my program, which is why I am writing this list, to
> figure out what that is. I'm an experienced developer and I don't
> appreciate your disrespect. I can follow tutorials and documentation
> and I did so here, and it's always ended up with lots of errors. Your
> docs need work. I'm sorry if this idea offends you. : ( I still like
> you and I still like SQLAlchemy. Let's cultivate an environment of
> mutual professional respect here. : )

I'm sorry but I have to jump in here. This sort of talk is completely
inappropriate. Mike Bayer spends day and night work on SQLAlchemy, and
as far as SQL toolkits in the Python world, and most other languages
for that matter, it is the best of the best. In addition to coding on
it he spends significant time and energy answering almost every
question on this list with thoughtful and helpful responses. This sort
of level of support is just completely unheard of. He does it for you,
me and everyone else that benefits from SQLAlchemy every day. Even in
the face of being ridiculed he continued to help you think through
things, because that's who Mike is.

Regarding the docs, they are incredible. The problem often with the
docs is not that they aren't any good it is that a lot of people don't
have the terminology framework to understand this stuff. It takes time
to because there's so much there, but often folks are not willing to
spend that time. That's not a deficiency in the documentation, but in
people hoping to get a "quick fix".

I understand being frustrated; it happens to us all. It's especially
frustrating when you are expected to embrace new technologies and be
up to speed and productive in no time.  It's just a fact in our
industry. But do remember that the people on this list, those writing
the docs, those slugging through test cases, and those on IRC day and
night are doing it because they love technology, they love helping
folks, and they're committed to creating something great. I wish that
all open source projects were led by a "Mike Bayer".

Michael