I'm writing an application in python using sqlalchemy (and Elixir)
with sqlite as the database backend. I start a new transaction using
the code session.begin_transaction(), but when I call session.rollback
() I get the following error:

sqlalchemy.exceptions.OperationalError: (OperationalError) no such
savepoint: sa_savepoint_1 u'ROLLBACK TO SAVEPOINT sa_savepoint_1' []

I also get a similar error calling session.commit(). From what I can
tell, sqlite supports SAVEPOINTS (http://www.sqlite.org/
lang_savepoint.html).

So, how do I get nested transactions to work?

I've also posted the question on stack overflow, so you can reply
there if you like, or here, I don't mind.