> That's funny because Oracle and SQL server are utterly, totally different
> from a SQL quirks perspective.   If I were to pick two dialects in SQLA
> that were *most* different from each other and also non-standard, those
> would be the two.

I was a bit puzzled by this also (granted this was from some early
press release I dredged up* from google).  I'm still working through
their documentation and haven't run across any configuration that
might enable a compatability mode yet.

* "improved compatibility with Oracle and SQLServer SQL dialects"

http://www.vertica.com/company/news_and_events/Vertica-Analytics-Database-2.5-The-Most-Cost-Effective-Way-To-Modernize-Data-Warehousing