Further, if I inspect the returned object *directly* after the call to
merge(), then aren't I guaranteed any Relations with use_list=True
have will have the same length, since that is the point of merge in
the first place?

That being the case, I can always simply correspond the merged index
with the original instances, correct (regardless of whether it is a
newly created object or was get()'ed from the database)?

Correct?