Kent wrote:
> I agree I shouldn't care, so maybe there is another way to attack my
> problem.  The reason I care is because I've extended the python object
> with some auxiliary information that I need.  After the refresh() in
> this case, I still need access to that data that is tied to the
> object, but not present in the database (it is transient data).  If
> sqla creates a new instance, I loose that data.
>
> Is there a better mechanism for doing that?

You need to either manually keep strong references to each object that
has the auxiliary information or disable the weak identity map. See
http://www.sqlalchemy.org/docs/05/session.html#frequently-asked-questions
or
http://www.sqlalchemy.org/docs/05/session.html#frequently-asked-questions
for more information.