Kent wrote:
> Along the same lines, is there something we can do about nvl()
> (oracle) versus coalesce() (ansi)?
>
> They aren't exactly the same, unfortunately (nvl takes exactly 2
> arguments, no more), so maybe there is nothing 'official' you can do,
> but can you help me work it out for my project?
>
> I assume it is very similar to what you helped me out with
> above...something like this:

> from sqlalchemy.sql.expression import ColumnElement
> from sqlalchemy.ext.compiler import compiles
> from sqlalchemy.types import DateTime, Date
>
> class current_date(ColumnElement):
>     type = Date()
>
> @compiles(current_date)
> def _compiler_dispatch(element, compiler, **kw):
>     if compiler.dialect.name == 'oracle':
>         if compiler.dialect.use_ansi:
>             return "trunc(current_date)"
>         else:
>             return "trunc(sysdate)"
>     else:
>         # assume postgres
>         return "current_date"
>

> But the main difference is it takes arguments.
>
> Is there a clever way to return the appropriate function, something
> like this:
>
> def ....
>     if compiler.dialect.name == 'oracle':
>         return func.nvl
>     else:
>         # assume postgres
>         return func.coalesce

I will add this to the docs:

from sqlalchemy import *
from sqlalchemy.ext.compiler import compiles

from sqlalchemy.sql.expression import FunctionElement

class coalesce(FunctionElement):
    name = 'coalesce'

@compiles(coalesce)
def compile(element, compiler, **kw):
    return "coalesce(%s)" % compiler.process(element.clauses)

@compiles(coalesce, 'oracle')
def compile(element, compiler, **kw):
    if len(element.clauses) > 2:
        raise TypeError("coalesce only supports two arguments on Oracle")
    return "nvl(%s)" % compiler.process(element.clauses)

print coalesce(5, 6)

from sqlalchemy.dialects import oracle
print coalesce(5, 6).compile(dialect=oracle.dialect())