Michael Bayer wrote:
Chris Withers wrote:
..."python setup.py test" probabyl would, but only for the test run.

Might be worth mentioning in README.unittests that you need to manually
install nose...

this is not clear enough ?

"As of 0.5.5, unit tests are run using nose.  Documentation and
downloads for nose are available at:"

"http://somethingaboutorange.com/mrl/projects/nose/0.11.1/index.html";

Not really, most people nowadays, myself included, when they know that a project is setuptools-based, expect it to pull down its dependencies.

And, indeed, if you do "python setup.py test", it will be automatically pulled down for you.

The fact that it isn't when you do "python setup.py develop" is an artifact of python's packaging story sucking. All the zope packages sue the extra_requires mechanism to define a 'test' extra so that requirements for tests are pulled in via:

easy_install some_package[test]

...but, of course, that doesn't help with "python setup.py test", so we're left with a bad situation either way.

Short version; it's probably easier to add a few words saying "unless you're doing 'python setup.py test' you will have to manually install nose" to jolt stupid people like me into doing so...

cheers,

Chris