Michael Bayer wrote:
jose soares wrote:
Hi all,

I'm using Oracle and PostgreSQL with SQLAlchemy and I have some troubles
to make the code compatible  with both of them.
Numeric sa type returns a different type with oracle and pg.

For example, in the following table I'm using the Column 'importo' with
type Numeric as:

tbl['prestazione'] = Table('prestazione', database.metadata,
        Column('id', Integer, Sequence('prestazione_seq'),
nullable=False, primary_key=True),
        Column('data', Date, nullable=False),
        Column('quantita', Numeric(15,3)),
        Column('importo', Numeric(12,3))
)

while oracle returns a float type as:

prestazione.c.importo = 12.0

postgres returns a Decimal type as:

prestazione.c.importo = Decimal("0.000")

and I have difficulties to make code compatible, because sometimes the
program raises a TypeError error as:

    TypeError: unsupported operand type(s) for +: 'Decimal' and 'float'

Is there some w.a. to avoid this thing?

if you're on 0.6 (or even 0.5 for that matter) the Numeric type should be
returning Decimal in all cases from result sets.
I'm using 0.3.10 , I know I must to upgrade but it's not so easy. :-[
Is there something that I can do to avoid this error in 0.3.10?
thank you