A little tip because I ran into this one a bit.
I usually end up building out a list of columns that I want to order by
based on user input from the command line, or from a column heading click,
and end up with something like:
order_list=['parent','name']

what you can do is just toss a '*' in front of the list variable:
query.order_by(*order_list)