the behavior here is exactly that which I described at
http://groups.google.com/group/sqlalchemy/msg/ab479d4762c24c65 .  The presence
of the slash invokes the usage of cx_oracle makedsn(), in this case with a
blank dsn, whereas when not, sends the hostname "localhost" as the DSN argument
directly to cx_oracle.connect().