Thank you for the response. However, that is not the problem. If I do

update = table.update(project.c.ProjectID=='project-name', values =
{project.c.ProjectID:'program'})
print update
update.execute()

everything works fine.
if I do this:

test = 'table.c.'+columns[0]     #columns is a list which contains the
columns names
update = table.update(test == 'project-name', values={test:'program'})
update.execute()

it does not work. I get an error that there is no such column.
I need to be able to update columns dynamically where I do not have a
prior knowledge of what tables and what are the table columns that may
exist. How can I do that if at all?