Hi Michael,

We have also tried the  /*+ FIRST_ROWS(N) */  optimization hint, it
only gave a 25% speed improvement, but the result was still 5 or 7
times slower than the ROW_NUMBER() OVER approach.
I'll provide benchmark details on Monday, also details about table
(actually a view) layout, indices, etc.

On Jun 23, 6:04 pm, Michael Bayer <mike...@zzzcomputing.com> wrote:

> A full history of this feature is here:
>
> http://www.sqlalchemy.org/trac/ticket/536
>
> The rationale is based on the bug described in that ticket, as well as that
> we preferred to go with an approach that was recommended by a lead engineer
> at Oracle.
>
> The dialect includes an option to add the /*+ FIRST_ROWS(N) */ directive, by
> specifying the "optimize_limits" keyword to create engine - we originally had
> that in the query in all cases, until some folks chimed in that we shouldn't
> make that decision by default.    I don't know if that helps your use case.
>
> The previous system can be restored using a @compiles directive.  I have
> documented that recipe
> athttp://www.sqlalchemy.org/trac/wiki/UsageRecipes/OracleRowNumberOver.

I don't understand yet how  the @compiles directive works, but I'm
also not that familiar with SA internals. Could you point me to some
URL where this is described?

Thanks,

Ralph