Hi,

we are about upgrading our sqlalchemy library from 0.4.8 to something newer and during this process we have detected that the LIMIT/OFFSET support for oracle has been changed, from using “ROW NUMBER OVER...” to a wrapped subquery approach in conjunction with ROWNUM as described in http://www.sqlalchemy.org/docs/reference/dialects/oracle.html#limit-offset-support

Unfortunately this approch is about 10 times slower for large tables which is mainly related to the fact that the innermost subquery has to sort the entire table with a plain 'order by'.
Interestingly the
        ROW_NUMBER() OVER (ORDER BY some db fields)
is so much more efficient than the normal order by approach.

I don't know the reasons behind the decision for getting rid of the "row number over" approach, but could it make sense to reimplement this algorithm again into the current SA as an optional feature?

Any help/feedback is very appreciated.

Thanks,

Ralph