it means a mapper that defines a way of loading instances of a class from a
particular selectable or table - but says nothing about how it should be
persisted, or how its attributes should be defined.

It is generally only useful as an alternative target in a relationship() that
would like to load the target object from an alternate subquery.    If I
eventually come up with a simpler way to achieve that result, it would be gone
entirely as a feature.