Roger Binns has incorporated support for CouchDB into apsw by using
SQLite virtual tables. Although apsw cannot be used directly by
SQLAlchemy (as it is not dbapi compliant),  you can pass an apsw
connection to pysqlite connect() and then use that connection as a
SQLAlchemy engine. I did some minimal work on a thin DBAPI
compatibility layer on top of apsw and the initial results were
encouraging but I have not been able to allocate any further time to
it. I am not far enough in to know if it is a great idea that will
work or an incredibly dumb one that has no chance of working!

So if you want to do some hacking about with create_engine(creator =
lambda ...) then you may just be able to get couchdb up and  running
with SQLAlchemy via apsw. If you try it, let me know how you get on.

pjjH