I am writing a function that adds particular columns and groupings to
a query based on some options.  I am trying to write some unit tests
for the function, and would like to check that the correct columns are
being added/grouped.

Give a query like:

q = session.query(Employee.firstName, Employee.lastName)

How can I check later that the query object has included
Employee.firstName in the output columns?

Similarly, how can I check, for instance, that the query object is
grouping on Employee.lastName?