This is a classic use case for pool_recycle=<some number of seconds> , which
will prevent old connections in the pool from being used.   It does of course
assume that connections remain checked into the pool when not being used (i.e.
no Sessions hanging open, etc).

http://www.sqlalchemy.org/docs/core/engines.html?highlight=create_engine#sqlalchemy.create_engine