On Feb 2, 2011, at 3:07 PM, Jonathan Cox wrote:

> I'm a newbie trying to set up a development/learning environment with
> sequel server 2008. I have a few questions:
>
>  -is it possible to use sqlalchemy to interface with with sequel
> server 2008 on Python 3.1?

not as of yet as there are no DBAPI implementations for Python 3 and SQL
Server, or at least none we have been able to test with.   You can check the
status of database support at
http://www.sqlalchemy.org/docs/core/engines.html#supported-databases .

> It seems like sqlalchemy uses some
> intermediate modules (e.g., pymssql) to talk to the server, and none
> of these modules are Py3 compatible. Do I have to revert back to
> Python 2.?

if you want to use SQL Server, then for the moment, probably.    There are
DBAPIs for SQLite, Postgresql, MySQL at the moment in Python 3.

> -If I have to use Python 2.? to utilize sqlalchemy and sequel server
> 2008, how do I install SQLAlchemy to my python 2 installation? The
> setup program only pops it into my python 3 installation, and I'm not
> sure how to target it elsewhere.

Python works based on which Python interpreter you're using.    If you for
example use pip or easy_install, there is one front-end for each version of
python.   On my system I have "easy_install-3.2" and "easy_install-2.7", for
example (thats just how the OSX installers put it in, if you're on an RPM /apt
system, which im guessing is the case, they likely have some different
convention).

If you are just running "setup.py install", again you'd run the python
interpreter you want:

        /path/to/python2 setup.py install