So, using MySQL with max_connections = 100 I quickly run out of connections,
because every client is using about 6 connections, one for each dialog window,
which has its own session instance.

seems like an architecture that could use some trimming....

Yes, you are probably right.
But what if I have two dialogs open, change data in both and click apply on the first (so it commits the changes). If both had the same session instance, which was passed from the main window, the second dialogs changes would also be committed, although the user might have wanted to discard them/rollback . Is there an alternate way of doing this?