Oh god...

I thought the statements used when declaring the ForeignKey (ondelete,
onupdate) would imply that the relationship function in the same manner.
I didn't think the 2 would be decoupled so much.. Although now that you
point it out, it does seem consistent.

I guess when I thought the children where deleted but not saved in _history,
I did not have the nullable=False statement on the foreign key and when they
did not show up in the _history table, didn't think of looking back in the
children's table to realise they had not been deleted.

Sorry for the trouble... Seems like I owe you a beer or two now.

JP