the standard SQLAlchemy patterns should work fine here:

- in 0.7, create_engine() will set up a NullPool when using SQLite against a
file.   SQLite doesn't really need connection pooling in the usual case.
nothing special is required here on your part.
- when using a Connection, if you're doing so explicitly, you use it in only
one thread at a time.
- when using the ORM, you use a Session as well as all the objects attached to
that Session, in only one thread, without sharing across threads.  Other
threads use their own Session/objects.   The scoped_session() registry is
normally used to provide a "session per thread" pattern.

that's it !