convert_unicode these days is by default "conditional" - if the DBAPI accepts
Python unicode objects directly, and/or can be coerced to return unicode
objects directly, SQLAlchemy doesn't do any encoding.   This is the case with
psycopg2 which both accepts Python unicode objects as bound parameters and via
its "unicode" extension returns them also.  It does not matter what kind of
data was passed to the database, provided the data got in with the configured
encoding, it's in, you always get a "unicode" value back.

If you're writing a "unicode compatible" application, you'd never pass a
"bytestring" to such a column that is, not:

        "somestring"

instead, always pass a unicode object:

        u"somestring"

SQLAlchemy doesn't do anything with the former, nor does psycopg2 - the data
contained within is essentially unknown.