I think I've found a bug--can anyone else confirm this? It appears that
SQLAlchemy cannot query SQLServer time columns because Python datetime.time
objects are always promoted to full datetime types. Once promoted the
SQLServer returns the error: 'The data types time and datetime are
incompatible in the greater than operator. (402) (SQLExecDirectW)'.

The type promotion occurs in sqlalchemy/dialects/mssql/base.py:268-276.

Interestingly, according to the documentation in this file, SQLAlchemy can
already determine whether the DATE and TIME types are supported (in
SQLServer 2008 or later), and I have confirmed it emits the correct DDL but
still treats all bound time values as DATETIMEs anyway. Is this a bug or am
I missing something?
Many thanks, Simon.