On Dec 27, 2011, at 3:33 PM, Kent wrote:

> Haha!  I sense you're getting irritated, Mike!

oops...that should never show...

> There are certain objects that aren't placed in the session because they
> aren't in the merge cascade (purposefully).  These are transient objects....
> I think that's where I'm hitting this warning.

do you need the transient objects to be present in collections/attributes owned
by pending/persistent objects ?

> It's a toolset to build an orm, right?

OK, yes.  If you're building on .orm and not just the core, you get a certain
behavioral model that you're building on top of.   The behavioral model is
built around everything being in a Session, with a transaction going on, and if
its not in a Session that means it's essentially in transit from one Session to
another.    That seems like mostly what you're doing here.
> Not necessarily an orm out of the box to fit every need.  So don't be
> offended when I hack at it a bit (trust me, I try to work within the public
> API as it was intended to be used, and I'm the only one in the company who it
> goes against my grain to hack... the other guys would have trashed it by now!
>  I'm the one on your side, believe it or not! ;)

yes absolutely !    I'm just stressed when challenged to make small
modifications without really understanding the bigger need.

> I don't mind if you don't want to change the warnings, just wanted your input
> whether it made sense.

based on the current model it makes sense.   A "partially detached" model that
knows not to warn in some cases would require a lot more thought.