Yes, this is so a 'Delete' button can return a list of references that need to
be broken before the row can be deleted. I don't want cascades in this case, as
there is too much potential for the user to blow away hours of data entry with
a single deletion.

Yeah, I fully expect that what I'm trying to do will require queries at some
level, but I was hoping that the SQLA API might have something built in for
getting references to an object, or just for seeing if there are any.

When I mentioned having a usesless transaction, what I meant was that the user
may have done a bunch of valid changes, without clicking 'Save' (which does a
commit()), and then if they attempt a deletion that causes an IntegrityError,
all of their valid changes are lost, because the session has to be rolled back
before it can be used again. I was hoping there was a way to... I guess,
'insulate' all of the other uncommited DB changes from one dodgy deletion.

Anyway, it kind of looks to me like any attempt to do this in some sort of
clever automatic way is going to be more trouble than its worth, so I think
I'll just bite the bullet and put backrefs on all of the relationships that are
going to the table in question, and then just check all of the backrefs before
deletion. This was always the most obvious solution to me, but I was hoping for
some perfect magical function that would do it automatically. One can dream! :)

Thanks Mike.

Cameron Jackson
Engineering Intern
Air Operations
Thales Australia
Thales Australia Centre, WTC Northbank Wharf, Concourse Level,
Siddeley Street, Melbourne, VIC 3005, Australia
Tel: +61 3 8630 4591
cameron.jack...@thalesgroup.com.au<mailto:cameron.jack...@thalesgroup.com.au> |
www.thalesgroup.com.au<http://www.thalesgroup.com.au>