On 2012-1-23 03:23, Jackson, Cameron wrote:
Anyway, it kind of looks to me like any attempt to do this in some sort
of clever automatic way is going to be more trouble than its worth, so I
think I'll just bite the bullet and put backrefs on all of the
relationships that are going to the table in question, and then just
check all of the backrefs before deletion. This was always the most
obvious solution to me, but I was hoping for some perfect magical
function that would do it automatically. One can dream! :)

Doing this by hand is always going to be complex and error-prone I would expect. If your backend support it you might be able to get away with using savepoints (see http://www.sqlalchemy.org/docs/orm/session.html#using-savepoint ).

Wichert.

--
Wichert Akkerman <wich...@wiggy.net>   It is simple to make things.
http://www.wiggy.net/                  It is hard to make things simple.