Hey this is very nice, a few comments:

1. MutableType is probably going away in 0.8, and even the presence of it
causes the ORM to perform very poorly when objects use a MutableType.   We have
sqlalchemy.ext.mutable now as the alternative.
2. was going to say something about HStoreColumn(HStoreElement, Column) ->
HStoreElement(ColumnElement)/Column(ColumnElement), but then I tried out a
quick diamond example in Python and I learned something I wasn't clear on
earlier about multiple inheritance (Column stays on top of ColumnElement) so
thanks for that !
3. Would HStoreColumn already imply the HStore type ?  If you give it a custom
__init__, you'd probably also need a _constructor()  method which is used by
Column to help when it needs to make copies of itself.