On Apr 19, 2012, at 2:23 PM, Daniel Holth wrote:

> So there you have it. It very well may be that there is exactly one use case
> for this package, but who doesn't need to keep track of users and groups?
> Other than that it does a passable job of applying hand-written linear
> database upgrades, and it is short.

that it is, and the surprise here is....repoze.evolution !  yikes !

so I guess with these two systems, writing the "scripts" is totally up to the
developer, is that right ?

There's a lot that alembic could bring into this.   There's all the Alembic ops
and dialect-agnostic directives (DDL abstraction).  There's migration modes
that either talk directly to a database or generate a SQL Script.    There's
the tools to create new scripts and a more sophisticated versioning scheme too
(repoze.evolution seems to use an incrementing integer).

It almost seems like Alembic could integrate with repoze.evolution though I'm
not sure if that's useful.   You could certainly use Alembic's DDL abstractions
directly in this system with a couple of lines if nothing else.