An option to add along to the unique constraint, if you expect to get
collisions often, is to use a SAVEPOINT so that a process can roll back
partially if this particular INSERT fails, then use the row.  The Session
offers SAVEPOINT via begin_nested():

session.begin_nested()
try:
     session.add(thing_that_may_exist_already)
     session.commit()  # flushes, and commits only the "savepoint"
except exc.IntegrityError:
    session.rollback()
    thing_that_may_exist_already =
session.query(Thing).filter_by(<criteiron>).one()

the difference between using locks to prevent concurrent dupes versus using
constraints and expecting dupes to fail is known as pessimistic versus
optimistic locking.