Do you have echo=True on and do you see the COMMIT logging lines that you
expect to see ?  if so, does it work with a raw DBAPI script that sends out the
necessary SQL ?  otherwise it sounds like the procedure itself is broken.

I dont see how the concept of primary key incrementing impacts this.  Are you
saying, this is a trigger?  What database backend is this even ?   There's a
lot of detail here that anyone would need in order to debug this issue further.