On Aug 6, 2012, at 2:58 PM, Firass Asad wrote:

> Good day! I have an existing setup connecting (doing selects only) to a
> sybase database and I can successfully use sybase+pyodbc or mssql+pyodbc
> interchangeably... Now I'm trying to setup and use mssql+pymssql instead, and
> I am getting an error.

why  connect mssql+pymssql to sybase?    we support the python-sybase driver
directly:  http://python-sybase.sourceforge.net/

> I can successfully connect and query pymssql directly, but it appears that my
> connection isn't setting server_version_info and it is causing an error on
> line 1117 of the mssql base dialect file[1].
>
> if I change this line from:
> if self.server_version_info[0] not in range(8, 17):
> to:
> if self.server_version_info and self.server_version_info[0] not in range(8,
> 17):
>
> then everything works fine.
>
> I'm not sure if you care to support sybase connections using the mssql
> dialect, but it seems like you wouldn't want emitting a warning cause an
> uncaught exception.

there's probably lots more issues than just this one.   If sybase+pymssql is a
use case worth supporting, it would be a new sybase dialect.  However, looking
at pymssql http://code.google.com/p/pymssql/ I don't see any mention of "is
also sybase compatible".

The SQLAlchemy project certainly aims to support as many usage models as
possible, but supporting DBAPI combinations that aren't supported by the DBAPIs
themselves, especially when there are supported alternatives, is not a great
place to spend development cycles.

Additional information on your rationale here would be helpful !